Top 10 Low Cost/No Cost Energy Saving Tips for Summer
By Ryan Davies
CEC Customer and Energy Services Supervisor
- Replace any light bulb, especially ones that are on more than one hour per day, with an LED bulb. LED bulbs are extremely efficient and emit far less heat than a CFL or incandescent bulb.
- Close shades and drapes during the day to help keep heat out.
- While cooling your home, turn off unnecessary lighting and minimize the use of heat-producing appliances.
- Outside your home, caulk around all penetrations including telephone, electrical, cable, gas, water spigots, dryer vents, etc.
- Change your HVAC air filters regularly.
- Use dishwasher’s air-dry cycle instead of the heat-dry cycle to dry dishes.
- Keep your garage door down. A cooler garage in the summer will save energy.
- Make sure dryer vent hose is not kinked or clogged.
- Ensure refrigerator door seals are tight.
- Call a CEC Energy Specialist to learn about more specific Energy Saving Tips for your home!
To learn more energy savings tips, visit the CEC website Energy Savings Tips page.